Tips To Choosing A Word Of The Year
The last few years I’ve chosen a word of the year. This word has become my theme and guides my actions throughout the year. I’ve come torecognize how much I’ve grown since I’ve incorporated this practice and I now teach my clients to do the same.
If you read my last post “New Year, Same You – Tips to Making 2019 an Extraordinary Year!” then you already know that I am not a big fan of making new year resolutions that will not stick. Instead, I focus on growing. I reflect on my life and my career and where I want to go and then I create goals to help me achieve that growth. Part of this practice is choosing one word that will help me grow during that year.
I typically start this reflection in December because not only is it the end of the year but it’s also my birthday month and what a better time to reflect to set goals for my new year. Last year in 2018 my word came to me during my November 2018 trip to NYC. Why you may ask? It all started because in being in my most mindful state during my trip and living like a New Yorker for a little over a week I had a sudden feeling of hope that I knew I didn’t want to let go off. Then suddenly I started to see the word everywhere. I even came across an Instagram post that broke down HOPE as the acronym for “Help Other People Evolve” and I took that as confirmation that HOPE needed to be my word for the year because that is indeed my mission. In choosing this word in only 18 days I’ve discovered that I’ve been waking up feeling even more positive and looking forward to the day. I decided to do some research and according to The Daily Meditation, Hope helps with the following:
- Hope helps you control your emotions
- Boosts your immune system
- Improves general health
- Reduces stress
- Improves respiration
- Hope is essential for creating self-worth
- Reduces anxiety
- Improves social relationships
- Motivates positive action that leads to real-life success.
- Hope motivates positive actions that will lead to positive results
- Hope helps strengthen the immune system
- Hope improves social relationships (you’ll get more friend being an optimist)
- Hope makes you happy
- Hope broadens and builds your mind
Getting this additional information totally confirmed that I’ve chosen the right word and I cannot wait to see what HOPE brings me in 2019.
Here are some tips on how to choose your word for the year:
- Reflect: Take a moment to reflect on where you are, how you feel and where you want to be and how you want to feel. Are there patterns you want to break? Is there something missing in your life that you would like to have more off? For example a few years ago I realized that I needed to become more compassionate toward others. Especially knowing that I was going to transition into becoming a full-time coach. I needed to be compassionate and so, I made compassion my word for that year. Last year I decided that I wanted to feel joyful at all times and to let go of things that did not bring me joy, therefore, I chose JOY as my word. Choose a word that reflects where you are now and how you want to be or feel the rest of this year and stick with it.
- Visualize: Visualize your word. Write it down and look at it. Look it up in the dictionary. See what comes up for you.
- USE it: Utilize it in a sentence and see how you feel. Use it to describe yourself and see if it fits. You will know immediately if that’s your word.
Now that you know how easy it can be to choose a word and some of the benefits it’s time to choose one. What will your word be for 2019?
Share this with your friends on Social Media or Via Email and help them make 2019 extraordinary. Follow me on Instagram and Facebook @BeProductiveCoaching
About me: Vimari Roman is a Career & Leadership Coach who helps individuals achieve their peak potential and live a fulfilled life by utilizing their natural gifts and talents (also known as strengths). Want to learn more about how I can help you make 2019 extraordinary? Book a complimentary 30 min. discovery coaching call by visiting my booking calendar and choosing a time that works best for you: https://calendly.com/vimariroman
January New Year – New Client Special 50% off – One on One Coaching
Three Month Package – Twelve (12) 30 min sessions for only $480
Call or Email to Reserve: 786-340-3174 | firstname.lastname@example.org